One Thing I Desire: To Know Him More (March)

Devotions at the Ocean

“Blessed are they that keep his testimonies,
and that seek him with the whole heart.
They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!”
{From Psalm 119}

The Lord has been teaching me so much through His Word, especially through Psalms, lately. I have always loved the Psalms, but they have more and more echoed my heart’s cry for a deeper love and worship of my Father. He has gently been teaching me about trusting Him and committing my way to His will – delighting in His path for me (Psalm 37:3-7).

Recently, I was encouraged to seek the Lord more fully and to fill my mind more and more with His Words, rather than the words and things of the world. My old sin nature must be continually pruned and starved – and in that place I should be ardently feeding and growing the new nature that Christ has renewed within me. I must fill my mind with more of God, less of the world: thus I have been striving to fill my mind with more of God’s precious, pure Words of life. Psalm 8, 27, 34, 55, and 119 are a just a few passages that I have been memorizing portions from andmeditating on. I have been reading one stanza from Psalm 119 each morning before delving into my devotional time. David’s love and hunger for God’s Word, for His Law and Statutes – this chapter rings with His adoration and worship of God. I must daily pray for more love for Christ and His Word. As we do this and seek Him diligently, He will reward us and draw nigh unto us, as James 4:8 promises, “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.” I memorized this verse as a very young child, but its truths only seem to become more real and true to me as I get older! He truly blesses and rewards those who diligently seek His face in faith (Hebrews 11:6). In January, I memorized Psalm 116 with my sister, and these verses have continually reverberated in my heart lately:

“I love the LORD,
because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.
Because he hath inclined his ear unto me,
therefore will I call upon him as long as I live…
Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.
The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.
Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.
For thou hast delivered my soul from death,
mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.
I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living…
O LORD, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant,
and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.
I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving,
& will call upon the name of the LORD…”

The more I study and meditation on these beautiful portions of Scripture, the more I soak my mind in His promises found therein, the dearer and more treasured the Bible has grown to me! I love reading it and finding the promises and commands it contains for the diligent seeker of Christ. My “verse underlining pen” has been very active lately in my Bible as Christ has shown me these treasures! I love this verse:“When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek” (Psalm 27:8). I want to seek His face with my whole heart! And there is no better time to do so than today!

Can we say that we truly, deeply love the Lord with all of our heart? Is that our life’s cry? Are we offering Him the sacrifice of thanksgiving for the doom He has saved us from in His mercy? Are we looking to Him for Who He is and thanking Him for His grace? I have been asking myself these questions and found myself deeply lacking. A recent journal entry reads,

“I am finding as I meditate on Psalms and the worship of God, just how awesome and powerful and good He is – and how small and weak I am, without His grace. See, that is the main key I have to realize: that my hope is found in His sanctifying grace. If I keep this in perspective, so much falls into place (including my humility). I am praying for a smaller view of myself and a larger one of God. I hope to reap much growth by investing in this relationship, seeking to love Jesus more and put all things under that subjection. I want this to be my goal: ‘One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple’ (Psalm 27:4).”

Recently, a friend told me that she fasts from a certain food each March, to show the Lord she loves Him. When I heard about a media challenge that some dear young ladies are taking together – and seeing all that the Lord has been showing me and desiring to grow in my walk with Him, I decided to take a “fast” this month myself. I am purposing to stay off the internet during the month of March (outside of a set time each day to check email). Along with staying offline, I will be spending more time in the Word, prayer, memorizing Scripture, seeking and serving the Lord. A friend and I are going to keep one another accountable in this challenge throughout the month (via phone). I am looking forward to seeing what the Lord does through this and am praying for His blessing.

Would you like to join me in a commitment to seek the Lord more diligently this next month? Is your heart willing to give up a particular area (something you enjoy doing or eating) for His cause? Or simply to spend more time seeking Him and investing in your walk with Christ? This can be through daily Bible reading, longer prayer time, doing certain projects this month which will deepen your walk with Him, or serving Him in certain ways. I am realizing that my walk with Christ will not “just happen” – it will take sacrifice and commitment on my part as I seek to put Him first in my heart and life. I would love to hear if you will take the challenge.

“Seek the Lord and his strength,
seek his face continually.”
(1 Chronicles 16:11)

May the Lord Jesus be first in our hearts, may His Word be precious to us, and may we love Him more than the whole world beside! I am determined that “my meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD” (Psalm 104:34). Are you?

Seeking Him,

1 c o m m e n t s »

KATIE H. » Thank you for the encouraging post! Instead of “fasting” from the Internet for the month of March, I’m going to be doing something my dad suggested and use every thought of something I’ve been dwelling/focusing too much as a trigger to go practice my piano pieces that I am practicing for offertory. This way I’ll be taking my focus from this thing and placing it on developing my skill to better praise the Lord! Blessings! Katie

SARAH LEE »Katie, thank you so much for sharing! I am excited to hear about your resolve to take captive every thought for the Lord’s glory. This is an important area for us all to learn, and may God bless you as you seek to obey His command. Keep seeking the Lord Jesus with your whole heart!