The God of All Mercy (May)

Sarah Lee Photography: Ocean Photography

“When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers,
the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
What is man, that thou art mindful of him?
For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels,
and hast crowned him with glory and honour.”
{Psalm 8:3-5}

When things go wrong, what is our response?Who do we blame? Since we know that God can do anything,our problems must be His fault, right? We want everything to go according to our own personal good. And if we find things uncomfortable, then we often blame God for being unfair. If He was truly good, He would not let us encounter pain, right?

At least, this is the ideology that the world proposes. How often do we as Christians find ourselves thinking something along the same line of thought? When things go wrong, we complain to God, as if we deserve something better. When He doesn’t answer or relieve our circumstances, then do we give up on Him?

As I have been delving into the Word of God lately, I have seen – only in part! – what a great God we serve. He is the Almighty Creator of the earth and universe.“Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God”(Hebrews 11:3). Jehovah has infinite power and He created human beings for His own glory and pleasure. But His perfect plan was quickly ruined when man decided to rebel against his Master. We decided to take our own way; Isaiah said, “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way” (Isaiah 53:6). The very fact that our Creator has not completely wiped us from the face of the earth because of our rebellion to His name, is vibrant testimony to the unreachable span of His mercies.The verse which says, “For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds,” (Psalm 57:10) has an entire new meaning and depth to me as I realize this, yet even the Psalmist’s inspired words do not fully reveal the depths of God’s mercy. How can word or pen describe the wonders and character of God?

Yet, we often find ourselves complaining and lacking an attitude of humble thankfulness! Why is this? Last week, I listened to a striking sermon by Dr. Voddie Baucham, “Who Do You Think You Are?” based on Romans 9. I now reading this passage with new eyes, in a humbling realization of the place I have been given in God’s kingdom.

“Thou wilt say then unto me,
Why doth he yet find fault?
For who hath resisted his will?
Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God?
Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it,
Why hast thou made me thus?
Hath not the potter power over the clay,
of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour,
and another unto dishonour?
What if God, willing to shew his wrath,
and to make his power known,
endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
And that he might make known the riches of his glory
on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory.”
{Romans 9:19-23}

Who are we to question our great Potter? The One who deals in great mercy toward us, when we are only fit for destruction! Who am I to do anything but bow my head in thanksgiving for what He has for me, no matter what that entails? He has given me breath, and yet I trespassed against His holy name and rebelled against Him. He created by body for His glory, yet I am bent toward my fleshly nature and desires. He offered me mercy and completely justification from my sins – and has granted eternal life to me! So who am I to ask Him anything, outside of wisdom that I may know how to bless His name all the louder and ability to worship Him more whole-heartedly?

When we realize who we are – and Who God is – then we will sheepishly see the foolishness of questioning anything our God has for our life or any suffering we might encounter. Who are we to question His plan? When we look at the truths of God and His just nature, His sovereignty – yet at the same time, His love and mercy usward – we should be completely awed and humbled at the place we hold in His world (Psalm 8). How does our soul not bow in complete surrender and adoration for Who God is and the mercy He has outpoured on us? I owe every breath to Him who has saved me! I deserve an eternity of damnation and unutterable suffering. “Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered” (Psalm 40:5). The fact that this world has green grass and water – all resources that sustain human life overflowing – witnesses of God’s love and mercy. And that our God cares for each one of us and has plans for our future – what an incredible thought! As I witness the mercy of God, then I wilt in wonder at the fact that God has given me life bearable, much more in fact – but it is a blessed joy! Thank you Jesus, for your blessings innumerable!

“In God will I praise his word:
in the LORD will I praise his word.
In God have I put my trust: 
I will not be afraid 
what man can do unto me.
Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.
For thou hast delivered my soul from death: [what else can we ask for?]
wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling,
that I may walk before God in the light of the living?”
{Psalm 56}

The miracle of our salvation also must drive us to our knees in humble thanksgiving. We have broken the commandments of the covenant found in Deuteronomy 27-28. We deserve all the curses that should be hailed on us. Until we realize what we deserve, we will not grasp what our Savior Jesus Christ has done for us. Jesus Christ, the only perfect One who lived up to God’s commands – HE took the curse! He bore the suffering on our behalf. And this too is even more blessing to be grateful for each day we abide in His grace!

“My soul hath them still in remembrance,
& is humbled in me.
This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed,
because his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.”
{Lamentations 3:20-3}

I am finding just how much I have to be grateful for each day. Instead of grumbling because of some inconvenience or a change in plans, I am slowly learning to instead remember what I have been blessed with every moment. This month, I am going to make a goal to write down at least five of God’s blessings I am thankful for each day in my journal. This will require a constant attitude of awareness for the many ways He has taught and blessed!

May we never cease to wonder at the hope found in God’s mercy. Let us remember that we are to humbly bow the knee in submission for His will, in gratitude that He is patient enough to make us His workmanship for His eternal plan. We exist for His purpose and His eternal glory! May He receive glory in our lives: “All mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them” (John 17:10).

Bow the Knee
“What a privilege to come into God’s presence,
Just to linger with the one who set me free.
As I lift my eyes and see His awesome glory,
I remember who He is and bow the knee.

“With His voice He spoke and all things came to be.
Yet He hears each simple prayer I bring before Him
When I humbly seek His face and bow the knee.
Bow the knee, bow the knee, He is king of all the ages, bow the knee!
God alone on His throne, see Him high and lifted up and bow the knee!
Kneel before Him, all adore Him…
As you live to love Him more,
bow the knee.

“O LORD, thou art my God;
I will exalt thee,I will praise thy name;
for thou hast done wonderful things;
thy counsels of old are faithfulness & truth.”
{Isaiah 25:1}

Humbled in Joy,