I Look to You, Lord, With Mouth Open (July)

SarahLeePhotography

“Therefore came I forth to meet thee,
diligently to seek thy face,
and I have found thee.”
{Proverbs 7:15}

Our life in Christ is all about Him. We are to focus solely on our Savior Jesus Christ: from that focus, flows sanctification and actions which glorify His name.

This is what I am learning lately, as I realize how many things in this world persistently strive to steal my focus away from Jesus Christ. And so often I become more focused on reforming my outward actions – submission, kindness, gentleness, joy – than on my Leader, my Rock of strength – my ALL“The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower” (Psalm 18:2). If any man knew what this meant, David did – the great man of war. He knew His God was trustworthy and was his source of…everything!

When I am not focused on God, my life bears no godly fruit. I am only fruitful when I am abiding in Jesus Christ, my Vine of life, and I am only truly joyful and victorious when that is where my eyes are focused. Why is this so? Because of my own strength I am nothing, I am weak – Christ says that He is the only source of true spiritual growth. Never truer were the words, “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye,except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing” (John 15:4-5).

And so how do I maintain this ardent, unmovable focus on my Savior? on that incorruptible prize that will be bestowed to the faithful at the end of our earthly race? “Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible” (1 Corinthians 9:24).

The only solution is to place aside – with fervor! – distractions and any estimation of worldly acclaim or glory of man. This is hard, for as a human I naturally strive for the acceptance of fellow man – but I must only be looking to One and only seeking His acclaim, His approving words, “Well done, good and faithful servant”(Matthew 25:23).

One way I have recently been striving to remind myself of the importance of the approval of Jesus Christ alone, is just repeating a beautiful yet simple verse to myself: “I will love thee, O Lord, my strength” (Psalm 18:1). Truly this is a choice, and so reminding myself of it is very important.

“O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee:
my soul thirsteth for thee, 
my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land,
where no water is.”
{Psalm 63:1}

One of my recent memory passages was Psalm 42, and I am continually praying and requesting a truth of this in my life: “My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is” (verses 1-2). I am opening my mouth, longing for more of God and more love for Him, and know that He Who is faithful will perform His promise in Psalm 81:10, “I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.

SarahLeePhotography

From this relationship and focus on Christ alone will flow the areas that we all desire in our Christian walks – the fruits of the Spirit: joy, love, peace, meekness, faith (Galatians 5:22), patience, truth, goodness (Ephesians 5:9), and the overwhelming love of Christ Jesus that you just want to pour it out on everyone you see! This happens when we come to Him and place Him first in life, and let me tell you friend, it is an unbelievable joy to have His love overflowing within! It is so worth seeking with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength!

Knowing You
All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now compared to this

Now my heart’s desire is to know You more
To be found in You and know as Yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All surpassing gift of righteousness

Oh to know the power of Your risen life
And to know You in Your sufferings
To become like You in Your death, my Lord
So with You to live and never die

Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You
There is no greater thing
You’re my all, You’re the best
You’re my joy, my righteousness
And I love You Lord.
{Graham Kendrick}

May we each run the race set before us without falter or wavering of focus on the One true God and the One true source of strength. May our eyes be only and always for Our King, awaiting the day when we shall see His nail-scarred hands open to welcome us Home (Matthew 25:23) to those streets of gold (Revelation 21:21). Sister, go to Him today; leave your burdens there at His throne. Are you weary? Quit bearing those burdens for no reason. Stop trying to do good alone. Rest in Him and enjoy the fullness of His presence (Pslam 16:11). Simply worship Him in holiness and invest in loving Him more. He will bless your effort!

“Seek ye the LORD while he may be found,
call ye upon him while he is near.”
{Isaiah 55:6}

“The Lord is faithful,
who shall stablish you,
and keep you from evil.”
{2 Thessalonians 3:3}

Is your mouth opened – wide? He is ready to fill!

Looking to Christ,

2 c o m m e n t s »

SAMANTHA P. Sarah ~ this article was so timely for me! Thank you for sharing it with us! God has been teaching me some similar things recently. I find it so easy to lose my focus on the Lord and let other things cloud the beauty of gazing upon His face! He is our ALL! Oh to KNOW Christ – there is no greater thing! Oh to count everything else as loss compared to that wondrous knowledge! (Phil. 3:7-11) I love that verse in Psalm 81:10, “Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.” What a beautiful promise! The Lord recently reminded me of that promise and I have been thinking of what a great picture it is for us. The Lord is our great provider, and all we have to do is open our mouth – reach out our hand – and accept His great blessings! What an amazing God! Thank you for the reminder to cast all our cares and burdens at His feet. We so often tend to try in our own strength to carry our cares, without thinking of how foolish we are. May the Lord continue to bless your ministry to young ladies!
(By the way, your pictures of the baby bird went so well and were so cute!)

MARTHA JOY Dear Sarah! Thank you so much for the encouraging article! I lately have had the same troubles that you are talking about here…not focusing on the Lord, but rather things of this world. It’s so hard not to get caught up with things around us, but then I suppose that’s what what the world wants of us! :| Thanks again for the encouragment, dear sister! Love you ~ Martha Joy