Above Fine Gold (December)

Photo by Sarah Lee

I am blessed to share this special testimony by a sister in Christ, Martha Joy, about the importance of Scripture memory. This is a topic near to my own heart, so I am so thrilled to see other young girls who have heeded God’s command to hide His Word in our hearts (Psalm 119) and to cherish it forever. Here is a small starting list of passages to memorize.

Daniel 2:20-23, chapter 9
Ruth 1:16-17
Isaiah 12, 42, 53
Isaiah 61:10-11
Psalm 116, 24, 37, 63, 145, 139, 57, 42, 16, 40
Psalm 119
Ephesians 3:14-21
1 Corinthians 13
1 Peter 1:3-21
1 Peter 2:18-25
John 17 and other prayers of Christ
1 Thessalonians 5:14-28
Romans 11:33-36
Ephesians 1:15-19, 4:23-32
Galatians 5:13-22
Colossians 1:9-11
Colossians 3
2 Corinthians 4
Philippians 3

Grab a warm cup of tea, and let’s hear what Martha has to share. May we each “love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.” (Psalm 119:127)

Praising the Triumphant King Who Came to Earth,

_________

Memorization…what a wonderful way to hide God’s Word in our hearts! “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”(Psalm 119:11) In the Psalms, David talks a lot about hiding the Lord’s word in our hearts, and meditating on His goodness. Psalm 119 especially expresses this thought. I find this chapter to be very encouraging!

In my daily devotion time with the Lord, I often come across verses which I would like to preserve for a later date. Verses tucked away in your heart can be so helpful in a time of sorrow or sadness, a time of joy or thanksgiving, a time of struggling, or a time of sharing Jesus’ wonderful love with others! “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” (Psalm 119:105) I am currently working on memorizing Proverbs 31:10-31, which is such a wonderful passage for us, as daughters of the King, to remember! There are so many verses in the Bible which apply for us, as young maidens, and for us as we get married, if it is the Lord’s will.

Picture by Maggie B.

The Bible has so many things for us to remember. The Lord filled His book to the brim with words of encouragement to those in time of struggling. He knew that for us to walk in His Way, we would struggle, and to find His Way, we would need encouragement, from His wonderful Book. I am still learning things from it which I have never noticed before. Sometimes if you are having a bad day or not feeling good, if you just come to the Lord’s Word, perhaps He will show you a special verse which will fill your heart with a new hope of obtaining a better attitude for the next incident. This has happened to me so many times! “The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live.” (Psalm 119:144)

Also, if you ask Him for spiritual guidance, every morning, for the day ahead, then He will most assuredly help you through the day, and help you to do His will.“Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.” (*Psalm 119:133)

“What better way to walk with the Lord and be strong pillars in our father’s house,
than to memorizepatches of Scriptures, so that we can have them to encourage others
when needed?”

Psalm 144:12b says: “that our daughters may be as cornerstones, polished after the similitude of a place.” So, let us be. And to be this, what better way to walk with the Lord and be strong pillars in our father’s house, than to memorize patches of scriptures, so that we can have them to encourage others when needed. A tired daddy, coming in from working in the garden, a mommy, exhausted from a days work of cleaning, a brother or sister, having a bad day, or when we go to a friend’s house or to town…why not share a verse of encouragement to someone we know or don’t know. Recently, I saw a gospel tract…it said something to the extent of: “Hi! Since I may never see you again, I’d like to tell you about Jesus.” Of course, then it included verses and other information. I just thought that was quite interesting. Think of it. Just say that you go to town with your family and they ask you to run in to the grocery store to get some last minute items. You quickly run in, passing people as you go. You get the items, then go up to the check out to pay. The check-out girl or boy rings you up, and then you pay and leave. Think of that 50 seconds that you could have spent, using those verses that you have hidden in your heart, to tell the cashier about your love for Jesus. You may never even see them again…have you ever thought of that? Or what about all those others you saw in town? It is a great idea, to come up with a few verses of great encouragement and keep them in your heart, to share with others, or make a gospel track. But, always be ready to answer some questions.

So, as Hebrews 3:13a says, “But exhort one another daily, while it is called Today…” let us memorize gems of encouragement, so that we can share them with others in need. So, let’s show God our love and desire for Him, by hiding His word in our hearts! “Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear.” (Psalm 119:38)

I pray that the Lord greatly encourages you through your closer walk with Him! “I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.” (Psalm 119:16) As you endeavor to hide the Lord’s word in your heart, just remember that it will stay there forever, and you can use it all for the glory of Him! “So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.” (Psalm 119:44)

“So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.”
{Psalm 119:44}

Seeking with you,
Martha Joy

Martha Joy (13) is a home schooled daughter in her daddy’s home. She desires to encourage others in her Lord, and to be a more faithful and pure daughter for Him!