Edifying Conversations (April)

by Sarah L. Bryant

Ring….ringgg…..riiinnnnngggg!

“Hello, Julie speaking!” the voice on the other end of the line was that of a sweet young lady. The voices of young children could be heard faintly in the background.

“Hello, Julie! How is the Lord blessing you today?” Rose greeted her friend.

“Dear Rose, thank you for your kind phone call; the Lord planned that perfectly, because I was just thinking of you this morning. I wanted to tell you what He showed me this morning during my daily devotions. I am studying Colossians – you know the passage I am memorizing in chapter one? – and how my heart was struck by verse seventeen! It says of Christ, ‘He is before all things, and by him all things consist‘! Isn’t that an amazing statement?!” Excitement flowed from Julie’s voice, who ardently loved the Word of God, and was always eager to share it with others.

“Oh, that is one of my favorite chapters in the New Testament, Julie! I can hardly comprehend the depths of the truth of this verse.” Rose mused, “Just think, God put Christ before all of His creation, higher than the heavens, thrones, dominions, principalities, and all powers!”

“So true. One day how glorious it will be to at last see this great Savior Who has redeemed us from the power of darkness and brought us into His truly glorious light. He seemed to prick my heart gently this morning, by asking me, ‘I am before all things in this world. Do you allow me to sit on the throne of your heart in every area?”

For a few moments, there was a deep pondering silence as both young ladies dwelt on this all-encompassing question.

“How prone to wander is this heart,” Julie continued, with a sigh. “May we from our lives whatever may be distracting our focus from Jesus Christ, the only One worthy of our thoughts. You know, I was thinking today, that maybe I have not quiet given CHrist preeminence in my life in the area of my thoughts. It seems like they have been allowed a bit too much freedom and that is something I desire to give over to Jesus, that vain imaginations and unrealistic, unbiblical dreams are not allowed any foothold in my life.”

“Julie, I can certainly relate, and will be praying for you, dear friend, because Christ is pleased to see your desire to maintain a pure heart all for Him. May He give you grace as you pray toward that goal…” Rose and Julie continued to share what the Lord had been teaching their hearts.

Dear Sisters,

How rich is the communication Christ has given to us among other believers! I often thank the God for the godly sisters in the faith through whom He has blessed my life. What a privilege it is to hear how He is working in other’s hearts through His powerful Word. Malachi 3:16 rings in my mind – that beautiful picture of the remnant who spoke of the Lord and whose words brought a pleasant aroma to Him in heaven – “They that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.”

The Lord has given unto us the gift of communication. How are we using this gift? Do we enrich our family, friends, and acquaintances through God-honoring conversations and uplifting recollection of God’s Word and faithfulness?

Friendships are powerful and the words which we employ are life-giving or tearing down. I encourage you to seriously look at your relationships and your conversations according to God’s Word and principles.

• Frequently share verses the Lord has blessed you through in the Word. Psalm 119:46 proclaims, “I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.”
  • Speak uplifting words that encourage others in the Lord. 1 Peter 4:11 tells us, “If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.” 
  • Display the love and humility of Christ in your words and attitudes. Philippians 2:5-7 explains, “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.”
  • Take every every opportunity to speak of the Gospel. Philippians 1:27 says, “Let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.”
  • Steer your conversations away from all gossip and vain topics. Hebrews 13:5 says, “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”
  • Limit the time you spend on the phone – remember that your family relationships should have first priority. Keep your conversations focused and purposeful. Proverbs 31:26 tells, “She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.”
  • Pray often with and for others in your conversations. If you are speaking with a friend who is struggling through a trial, lift her before the Throne of Grace. You can pray spiritual prayers for her. Here are some Biblical prayers to study, pray, memorize, and model your prayers after:
    Numbers 6:24-27
    Colossians 1:9-12
    2 Thessalonians 3:3-5
    Philippians 1:9-11
    Ephesians 3:14-21

Sisters, let us ask the Lord to “Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips” (Psalm 141:3), for we cannot guard our words by our own power. Paul warned of the great danger in untamed tongues, “The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison” (James 3:8). May others “behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear” (1 Peter 3:2). May the Christ who dwells in our hearts be the overflow of our words, that He is magnified in our conversations. God bless you!

Speaking the Word,

Sarah L. Bryant is the oldest daughter of Tom and Dana Bryant, who seeks to be a vessel that glorifies her Savior and Lord. Her heart’s desire is that Christ would be magnified in all her life, through honoring her parents, serving her father, encouraging her siblings in loving God’s precious Word, and girding herself with skills that will bless her future family, if God so leads.