My Father’s Daughter (June)

by Sarah & Rachael Bryant

What a great blessing God has given daughters who abide in their father’s house! The Lord has ordained father as our spiritual head, protector, and guide – and in this is found the greatest joy and preparation. It should be our desire to honor and respect our father as our God-given authority and to learn submission toward him.

One of the best ways we can bless our father is simply by maintaining a spirit of honor toward him. The attitude we show is incredibly important and conveys our heart’s respect for his responsibilities and position as a provider of a family. Do we show our father love, care, concern, and respect? “Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass…And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor…and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing” (I Corinthians 13:1). King David noted in Psalm 40:6, “Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire.” May we seek to serve and honor our dad with a true heart of love. We can ask ourselves, “Does Dad know I stand behind his hard work? Does he know I appreciate his diligence to diligently provide for his family?”

Another area in which we can honor our dad is by displaying grace to cover his faults. No parent – or daughter! – is perfect, therefore, as the Lord has shown grace toward us, may our lives reflect that toward the mistakes and weaknesses of our fathers. Take your eyes away from failures and instead choose to pray for him and thank him consistently for his obedience to the Lord. Ephesians 4:32 commands, “Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.” Because Christ has shown us such immeasurable mercy and forgiveness for our own vast transgressions, we are told to forgive others. Evaluate your heart and be sure that no bitterness or lack of forgiveness remains in your heart toward your father. This attitude of transparent love and honor for your father will greatly bless your entire family and be an example of the believers to the watching world.

Although on Father’s Day, we especially remember the priceless blessing God has given to us – our father – may we not forget to honor him every single day of the year. Learning this role of honor and submission as a daughter will be greatly beneficial and sanctifying, in preparation for a future marriage, if the Lord so wills.

Ten Ways to
Honor Your Father…

1. Cheerfully say “good morning”
  2. In the morning before he goes to work, put a note in his lunch with a Scripture
  3. Make his favorite meal or dessert (I am sharing my dad’s favorite pie recipe below)
  4. Polish his boots (with permission)
  5. Wash his car
  6. Help keep the home tidy and clean
  7. Decorate and set the table fancy
  8. Keep in mind his preferences and honor them
  9. Be obedient
  10. Tell him “I love you”

Lemon Meringue Pie
From Rachael Bryant

• ½ cup lemon juice – fresh is best
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind or ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
  • 1 (15-ounce) can Eagle Brand condensed milk
  • 2 eggs, yolks separated
  • ¼ teaspoon cream of tarter
  • 4 tablespoons sugar

Combine lemon juice and rind or extract. Gradually mix in milk. Add egg yolks and mix well. Pour into baked pie shell. In chilled bowl, beat egg whites. Adding cream of tarter, beat until stiff and then gradually add sugar. Spoon stiff egg whites onto lemon mixture, spreading carefully to edges of pie pan. Form peak on top by gently tapping spoon into whites and pulling up. Bake at 325 degrees only until peaks are brown. Watch carefully or it will burn. To make a really pretty pie, use 4-6 egg whites to make the meringue.

“He shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children,
and the heart of the children to their fathers.”
{Malachi 4:6}

May the Lord bless each of you as you choose to honor your fathers – as unto the Lord!

~Sarah & Rachael Bryant