How Should Christians Respond to Change? (May)

IMG_8134 copy

By Charity S.

Change—it is an event that we either love or shrink from, either facing it with excitement or fright. Nothing else can turn our lives upside down like change can and nothing can better our lives like change does.

Yet still, many of us fear it and even hide from it.

But is that really a reasonable response?

People who look at my life may wonder why I think I have a right to talk about change. I’ve grown up in a Godly, homeschooling family all my life and I’ve lived in the same house for ten years. We stick with a daily schedule, and go to church every Sunday. In short, I have a very structured life, one that some people might consider monotonous.

IMG_8107 copy

But recently, a change has entered my life. I saw it coming, thought I was prepared; but now that it’s happened, I’m not so sure I really was.

Three days ago my older sister, who has been here for all eighteen years of my life, got married. I’m so happy for her and her husband; they truly are a perfect couple. But now I have to adjust to no longer having her in the house. There’s one less person at the table for meals and only three sisters sharing a bedroom. It feels somewhat lonely. Yet it is still a joyous change, one that I wouldn’t undo; but it is change nonetheless.

Before something like this happens, I am often excited. I like new experiences and I look forward to seeing what will happen; but this time, now that the change has come, my enthusiasm has dwindled and even though I am truly joyful over what has happened, a secret part of me wishes that things were the same. But is that really what God would have me do? Do we as Christians have any reason to be sad at change?

IMG_8104 copy

If I was just going to be practical about this, I’d say no and perhaps quote the familiar saying, “There’s no use crying over spilled milk.” What’s done is done and must stay as it is. But I guarantee you that if you said this to someone struggling with recent change, they would consider you insensitive and rude. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t appreciate it very much.

But what if you maybe quoted words that are a little more lasting, such as “For I am the LORD, I change not” (Malachi 3:6)?

Those words are so substantial that I don’t know that a Christian would really need any other comfort besides that. It’s as though God is saying, “Things and people may change around you, but I am forever, always unchanging.” In the midst of chaos, He is there, the only clear image in a blur of uncertainty. His love is always just as abundant; His forgiveness is always extended towards us. In short, everything changes except for God and so nothing really matters except for God.

IMG_8089

“His love is always just as abundant; His forgiveness is always extended towards us. In short, everything changes except for God and so nothing really matters except for God.”

Another possible comfort for change is one that I often remind myself of. I like to say that seasons of life come and go but they just keep getting better. If this change is God’s will, it must be better than the old season of life. If we could rebel and keep things the same, we would be fighting against God’s will which would be sin; and obviously, not sinning against God is best. He promises:

“All things work together for good to them that love God,
to them who are the called according to his purpose.”
(Romans 8:28)
“He which hath begun a good work in you will
perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”

(Philippians 1:6)

I believe that God’s got a special plan for each of our lives and because He is a loving and all-knowing God, He will always lead us up a path that is best for us. He is leading us forward to the next stage of life because the old stage is worn out and it is time for something new; but if we keep holding onto the past, it’s really rebellion against God.

IMG_8090 copy

Life, and the change that comes hand in hand with it, can be frightening and saddening at times. But it doesn’t have to be; it doesn’t need to be. The Christian life is based on change:

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
(2 Corinthians 5:17)

Change is only God’s way of making our lives better, by keeping us on the path that He made us for. And so, when change enters your life, there’s no sense in being sadly reminiscent. The only reasonable response is excitement to see what God’s got in store.

Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.”
(Psalm 37:4-5)

By Charity 
who lives with her parents and sisters. She enjoys writing, teaching her sisters writing, and making music.

This Month’s Desktop Wallpaper: