Nothing Between Our Savior (June)

IMG_9225 copy

by Ruth K.

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” (Matthew 22:37)

We are to love the Lord Jesus with all of our heart. Christ wants our undivided love. These past few months, the Lord has been pointing this out to me, along with how He looks at my future, even when I do not understand. His thoughts are higher than mine!

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, saith the L
ORD.” (Isaiah 55:8)

At a church my family attended last year, I began noticing a young man who seemed to stand out from the others. He seemed so sincere about his faith. As the Sundays progressed, I became more and more fond of him. I convinced myself that I would soon stop feeling the way I did. I told the Lord that my heart had strange new thoughts and emotions. As the weeks flew by, I struggled more and more with controlling my emotions. One Sunday morning, we sang a hymn I had never heard before, “Nothing Between.”

IMG_0008~1

As I sang the words from the hymnal, I felt as if the Lord began to tell me, “I don’t want anything or anyone to come between your love for me.” I felt very convicted the rest of the morning. That night, I read the hymn again and I wanted that song to become a reality for me.

I prayed that the Lord would help me overcome and that my life song would be:

“Nothing Between My Soul and the Savior,
so that His blessed face may be seen,
nothing preventing the least of His favor.
Keep the way clear, let nothing between!”

IMG_9460 copy

I wish I could say that after this, the struggle was over, but it wasn’t. Though my commitment was heartfelt and true, I still struggled with this. One day I went to my favorite quiet place and on my knees, begged my Heavenly Father to forgive me for my sinful thoughts; I prayed that Jesus would bring me back to desiring to love only Him and that I would leave my future in His hands.

Within weeks of my prayer, my parents decided that the Lord was leading our family away from the church. I felt my heart ache in ways I never felt, and I felt like the world had fallen on top of me.

I finally came to the place of surrender and called out to my Savior. I asked the Prince of Peace to fill me with His peace and His joy again. That was the best day I had in a long time. I still didn’t understand why things happened the way they did, but Jesus opened my eyes and I realized that He did hear my prayer: He led me away from someone who was occupying my thoughts where the Lord should have been. He wanted Nothing Between my heart’s love for Him.

“Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation;
and uphold me with thy free spirit.” (Psalm 51:12)

IMG_9116 copy

So, while I do not understand all the “whys,” I do know that the Lord wants our undivided love, and He will do anything to draw us back to Him. He used a donkey to talk to Balaam. (Numbers 22:21) He use a giant fish to swallow Jonah! ( Jonah 1:16, 2:1-10) The Lord used this hymn to speak to me and lead through my parents. He will continue to show His great love in the days to come. He wants me to love Him wholeheartedly and to trust in His love (Psalm 143:8).

Nothing between, like pride or station;
Self-life or friends shall not intervene;
Though it may cost me much tribulation,
I am resolved; there’s nothing between.

Nothing between, e’en many hard trials,
Though the whole world against me convene;
Watching with prayer and much self-denial,
I’ll triumph at last, with nothing between.

My sisters, be careful not to let things creep into/between your love for Jesus. Remember that our Heavenly Father has the perfect plan for your life and He has already drawn the “blue prints”! Follow Him and seek to love Him with all of your heart no matter what.

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Ruth K. (15) is the oldest of three siblings and her passion is to know her Savior more.

This Month’s Desktop Wallpaper: