Be Still (September)

sept215(2)

By Guest Writer Rachel L.

God had been leading the Israelites by the pillars of cloud and fire for only a little while now. They could see Him right in front of them, leading them. For the freed captives, life was going great. And then, Pharaoh decides he wants his slaves back and chases after them. As soon as they see him coming, all the Israelite’s faith goes out the window. No matter how many times God reminds them, “I am the Lord,” they shrink back from the challenge.

Joshua prepares to lead God’s chosen people across an uncrossable river and into an undefeatable city. At this time, the people don’t think he’s a trustworthy leader.

The enemies of the living God that are still in the land have come up against the king Jehoshaphat to war with him. The armies are terrified, forgetting that the battle is not theirs, forgetting the true King’s everlasting mercy.

The two sisters weep, as their brother Lazarus has been dead four days, with no sign of the Messiah. It seems all hope is gone.

sept2015

These are only a few of the stories in the Bible that tell of the children of God coming up against what we today call stress. My definition of stress is anything that overwhelms me, anything I let steal my faith and joy only to replace it with anger, anything that I allow to make me doubt the Father.

Many of us are familiar with this verse: “Be still and know that I am God…” Psalm 46:10. But has it become only a catchphrase to us?

It is easier to be still when we meditate on who God is. Psalm 84:11 says, “For the Lord God is a sun and shield…” He lights our way and protects us through the raging waves.

Quite simply, He is our Everything. Without Him, there is no us.

“For who in the heaven can be compared to the Lord? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the Lord?”
(
Psalm 89:6)

God leads us through our trials. Nothing is too big or too small for God. He sees and hears us, and He cares. He is ever guiding us through the valley of the shadow towards the hope and joy in the morning.

We just have to trust God. We have to step out onto the waters in faith, knowing that we hold our Savior’s hand. When Moses raised his staff, God split the Red Sea and destroyed the Egyptians. When Joshua had the priests take that first step, the Jordan stopped and they crossed to a victory on the other side. When Jehoshaphat went out to war praising God with psalteries and harps and trumpets, the Lord won the battle for them without them so much as lifting a sword. When Mary and Martha believed, their brother was raised to them. And when we remain still and trust Him, He will do great things for us, too.

How has this concept impacted me? Recently, I was really uncertain about what next step I should take. It was only after I put my future and my dreams in His Hands and prayed about the options, that I felt His leading.

I have five siblings and I often babysit them. This job often leaves me feeling stressed, and I have to turn to Jesus to take away my overwhelmed feelings and help me to act as Christ would act.

I don’t know where your path may lead. But whatever you come up against, just be still, and ponder God. He knows what is best, so praise Him even when the rain threatens to drown out your praise. He is Who He says He is.

Be still and know that I am God…”
(
Psalm 46:10)

-Rachel L. (14)

This Month’s Desktop Wallpaper: