5 Ways Wise Women Seek Him (December)

by Sarah Lee Bryant

Dear Sisters,

I’d like to be able to sit down and chat with you about life and hear what the Lord has been teaching you! He is so merciful and faithful to teach us new things in this journey of life. I have been thinking about how thankful I am to know the Lord and how important it is to constantly be seeking to know Him MORE. It’s been on my heart to ask you – How is your walk with Jesus? Have you been earnestly seeking Him?

As I’m sure you know, a close walk with and knowledge of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord, doesn’t just “happen.” It requires a diligent seeking of His face and constant communion with Him. Simply flipping through the Bible for a few minutes every few weeks won’t automatically give us a deep knowledge of God in all of His beauty!

I know how easy it is to get caught up in the busyness of life (especially during the holidays) and in opportunities we have to “serve the Lord” and forget why we are alive. It’s easy to go to church faithfully and do all the right things and talk the Christian talk, yet that doesn’t mean JESUS is the first and highest thought on our heart and mind! Is your  God and Savior your HIGHEST priority in life? What are you doing to seek Him right now? How is your spiritual walk with Him deep down in your heart where no one sees – is it thriving? Are you fanning the fire of a deep passion for your precious Redeemer? Or are you allowing those embers to cool?

Jesus woos our hearts. He saved us by grace; nothing we have done merited that salvation. We love Him because He first loved us. We only live and breath and do any good thing because He enables that and pours out His grace in our lives.

And yet we can’t neglect our part of seeking His face, desiring Him, and turning our thoughts over to Him on a daily basis. Not just once a week at church or when we need Him in a crisis. He commands us, Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you” (James 4:8) and “Seek ye my face” (Psalm 27:8).

Here are some ways we can earnestly seek the Lord and draw closer to Him. I encourage you to stop and ponder your spiritual walk today and be sure that you are earnestly seeking the Lord Jesus, the promised Messiah, especially during this Christmas season. Don’t let it fall by the wayside! Jesus is the most important thing in life!

1. Seek His Word with Your Whole Heart

Psalms 119:9-10: Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.

Psalms 119:27: Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.

Daniel 9:3: And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:

2. Cast Aside Everything That Distracts Your Focus on Christ

Philippians 3:8: Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death.

What is taking away your thoughts from the Lord? Is it music, media, a friend, or fiction books? It is not worth it!

3. Pour Out Your Heart in Prayer

I Thessalonians 5:17: Pray without ceasing.

Psalms 62:8: Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

Proverbs 15:8: The prayer of the upright is his delight.

4. Ask God to Teach You His Wisdom

James 1:5: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

5. Begin a Bible Study to Learn More about Him

Sometimes it is really helpful to go through a solid Bible study with a sister, mother, or mentor. This sparks great conversation and deeper digging into God’s Word – you’ll learn things you might not otherwise see. (This, this, and this are excellent studies you might consider. These are great commentaries.)

12-15 4

Sister, I am so thankful for you and your heart to seek the Lord. Will you continue to press forward with me, as we strive to know Him more deeply, in the days to come? Distance prevents us from enjoying a nice cup of tea together around the Word of God, but don’t let that hinder you from grabbing your Bible, a notebook and pen, and diving into His Word right now! 

Remember, a wise woman seeks Jesus — and they find Him!

Pressing on with You,
Sarah Lee

P.S. I’d love to hear from you and what the Lord has been teaching you; leave a comment!

“Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.”
(Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)