A Prayer of Surrender (August)

aug20163

“I have one desire now – to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it.”
(Elisabeth Elliot)

by Sarah Lee Bryant

Dear Heavenly Father,

I come to You, weak and needy. Lord Jesus, I need Your strength to live surrendered fully to You, and to walk in the Spirit. (II Corinthians 12:9) I thank You for Your mercy and for Your Word, which has instructed me in how to live each day. (Psalm 119:15)

Lord Jesus, my life is Yours. (Galatians 2:20) I know that You owe me nothing in this life, yet You have given me so, so very much. Not only have You redeemed me with Your own blood (Luke 1:68), but You have also daily poured out Your blessings abundantly upon me. (Psalm 103) I owe you everything I have. (Colossians 1:16) Anything that You deem to do with and through me is Your own choice. My body is Yours, to work Your will and heart through. (Psalm 139) Lord, teach me to use it to work out Your will and heart. (2 Corinthians 4:10)

Heavenly Father, my mind is Yours. Lord, guard my thoughts, that I would not allow myself to think negatively about my circumstances or others. (Philippians 4:8) Bring Your truth and Your goodness to mind throughout the day, for I know You are at work even when situations may be confusing. (Psalm 77:12)

Lord Jesus, my mouth is Yours. Set a guard over my lips. (Psalm 141:3) Use my tongue to speak love, mercy, and kindness to others. Please give me an awareness that You always hear my every word. (Psalm 139:4)

Heavenly Father, You are giving me opportunities each day to become more conformed into the image of your Son. (Romans 8:29) Difficulties that I encounter in my circumstances or relationships are not problems – they are opportunities to be Christ-like and selfless! The Lord Jesus Christ’s example shows that there is ALWAYS a way to respond humbly and righteously. (1 Peter 2:23) There is never an excuse for me to respond selfishly. There is ALWAYS a better way. Lord, please remind me of this in my daily interactions.

aug20162

Lord Jesus, I ask You to teach to love the people You have put in my life deeply and genuinely— in a way that is lived out sacrificially. (Romans 12:10) Especially those closest to me— not just the ones across the street. (Galatians 5:14) Help me to focus on their needs and on how to serve them. Help me to put to death my own flesh and to let my will die in theirs. Remind me each day that You call me to submit to one another in love – true unselfish love. (1 Peter 5:5) Lord, give me Your love for them!

“…Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.”

Give me grace to deal humbly in the smallest of interactions today— I want to show others how precious and valuable they are. Lord, I know that exercising patience in trials is more valuable to You than any talent or abilities I might have.

Dear Father, teach me how to embrace all of today’s unique blessings and trials, as the perfect laboratory which You have designed to mold me. (Romans 9:21) After all, this life is a gift and privilege to live for You— not for my own comfort or pleasure. You have given me this breath— and I owe it to You in service and obedience. I will be content here for as long as you see best.

aug2016

Father, I confess my inability to walk in Your ways apart from Your strength, so I ask for Your mercy, strength, and guidance. (Psalm 25:4) Lord, please use my failures to drive me to my knees before You— not weaken my resolve to obey You. (1 Corinthians 4:10) Help me to draw closer to You because of them.

When I grow weary, please remind me of the Hope for which I wait patiently. (Romans 8:24-25) Give me Your strength, so that even I, in all of my weakness, can run and not grow weary. (Isaiah 40:31)

Lord, all of these things ultimately are the fruit of loving You first and foremost in my heart. (Deuteronomy 7:9) Therefore, wean my heart from vain things. Grant me a deeper understanding of what You have done for me in salvation. I can only dimly grasp its glorious vastness, so please open my eyes to understand Your grace more deeply. (Psalm 119:18) Consume me with WHO You are.

Merciful Father, some of these things I am asking for, I do not even understand fully. Yet I know that You do. So I bring my requests before the great Throne of grace, because I know and trust that You are good, loving, merciful — my gracious Father, my Savior, my eternal faithful Guide — and I love You. (Psalm 18:1-3)

In Christ’s precious Name, Amen.

P.S. Here are some Scriptures to pray for yourself and others.

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

This Month’s Desktop Wallpaper
Current Issue of The King’s Blooming Rose Magazine
New Scripture Device Cases