5 Ways to Invest in Your Siblings (September)

sept2016

“The forthcoming issue of KBR Magazine will be focusing on Treasuring Sibling Relationships. It is brimming with practical advice on this important topic. To whet your appetite for what it will contain, here are some thoughts on how you can love and bless your siblings.”

“Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!”
(Psalm 133:1)

Guest Post by Acacia T.

Siblings are a special gift from God, yet in so many homes, relationships between brothers and sisters are strained. God wants us to dwell together in unity (Psalm 133:1). How can we promote peace and joy in the home?

Be humble.

Pride is the cause of most relationship struggles. Philippians 2:3-4 says, “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.” Be willing to be “wrong,” let your siblings make decisions, and put them first. You will be amazed at how quickly this will bless your relationship with them. As they see you genuinely care about them enough to put aside your own desires, they will respect you more.

Serve your siblings.

Paul goes on to say that Jesus, the Lord and Creator of all things, took upon Himself the form of a servant. How much more should we who are nothing without God, willingly serve our brothers and sisters? It is encouraging to keep in mind that when we do so, we are ultimate serving Jesus. Not even the smallest act of service done for the Lord will be overlooked by Him!

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
(Matthew 25:40)

Invest in their lives.

Our little brothers and sisters look up to us and follow our example. When we do our chores cheerfully, speak kindly, and honor our parents, our siblings will be encouraged to do the same. Psalm 127 says that children are a heritage from the Lord. May we be like Christ who said, “Suffer the little children to come unto me” (Mark 10:14). We can also invest in our siblings by spending time with them and doing things with them that they enjoy doing.

sept20162

Respect them.

We should show respect to our siblings, accepting instruction meekly. Remember that the older ones often have more responsibilities, and look for ways to lighten their load. Philippians 2:3 says, “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.” We should esteem our siblings, whether they are younger or older, better than ourselves.

Be sensitive to their struggles and needs.

When your sibling is having a hard day, be loving and kind. There could be more to their struggles that you see. Pray for them and be willing to listen. One thing I want to work on is asking my brothers and sisters how they are doing and being willing to share my heart also. When we are sensitive to our siblings, they will learn to trust us and share their burdens.

Most importantly, we need to keep our eyes on the Lord, Who makes all things possible (Matthew 19:26). Pray that He would fill your heart with love for your brothers and sisters and seek to be a blessing. These relationships are precious, and will last a lifetime, so let’s treasure the time we have together!

“…by love serve one another.”
(Galatians 5:13)

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

This Month’s Desktop Wallpaper
Current Issue of The King’s Blooming Rose Magazine
New Scripture Prayer Cards

One thought on “5 Ways to Invest in Your Siblings (September)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *