Trusting Our Master Trainer (November)

nov16

Guest Post by Lacy S.

“O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord?
or who hath been his counsellor?”
(Romans 11:33-34)

“Oh, it’s so hard!” I thought to myself as I fought the tears that were threatening to burst. “How can I possibly rejoice in such a trial as this! If only I could escape the pain that I feel inside right now. If only….”

Have you ever felt like this before?

I certainly have. I have often asked myself this question, “How can I truly be content when I feel like running away from this testing in my life? I certainly am NOT enjoying this!”

Let’s pull the reins back for a minute while I give you another picture.

The day was hot.

I was in the corral training our horse. My mouth was becoming parched as I ran to the left and then spun on my heels back to the right. I was running Lady in circles and having her change direction at half and quarter circles. My goal was to get her to turn and face me, and ultimately to submissively walk to me.

It all started when I was trying to call her to come to me. She had responded by completely ignoring me and kept nibbling on the pieces of hay on the ground. “Ok,” I thought to myself as I picked up my training whip. I had come out to ride, not to do ground training; however, I knew that if Lady’s heart wasn’t with me on the ground it would certainly not be with me in the saddle either.

As I began making her run in circles, she held her head high, in a very prideful manner. Her eyes were looking toward the field where her pasture mates were. She didn’t want to be doing training right now. I supposed she was thinking to herself, “Why would Lacy ask me to run when there are other more lovely things to do in life?”

“All that I am asking her to do is turn and look at me,” I thought to myself as I gave her opportunity to do so. And now she was thinking of jumping the fence! Submitting to my wishes was a struggle for her. I gently kept up with my maneuvers. Suddenly she paused and looked at me. I stopped dead in my tracks. Only when her attention was on me was she able to have rest. I smiled; she was learning obedience by the things that she suffered. All too soon though, her mind would wander to something else and she would not listen to my cue that was asking her to just return back to me. I had to keep training—running her in circles and changing directions. She looked at me again and began making steps toward me. Soon I was rewarding her with praise, and then it wasn’t long before we were walking side by side in harmony. Lady’s head was now low, telling me that she had submitted her will to mine and she was content with that.

I think I can relate to my horse in some ways.

Sometimes I turn my eyes away from my Master Trainer and then I become discontent. I begin to wish for something or someone else. My focus turns from delighting in my Lord, to what the world offers or says will give me happiness.

Then the Lord in His mercy and grace gently chastens me. I try to run from it. It’s not pleasant and it hurts.

“Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.”
(Hebrews 12:11)

I keep running. My Trainer continues His purging; He only wants what is best for me and at this point I can’t see that, or maybe I’m trying not to see that. He wants me to delight in Him. He is asking me to walk with Him, to be content in His will. It seems hard. “Why can’t I be happy? If only could have peace and joy in my life,” I think…then I remember these words from Psalms:

“Before I was afflicted I went astray:
but now have I kept thy word.”
(Psalm 119:67)

Suddenly I turn and look at my Savior.

A tear rolls down my cheek. I begin to walk toward Him and read His Word. He gives my heart understanding and opens my eyes. I repent of my discontentment in God’s will for my life, and for failing to delight in Him. I thank Him for His faithfulness to me. He gives rest, peace and joy, for in His presence is fullness of joy!

“Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”
(Psalm 16:11)

Sister, do not run from the training of your Master. He desires to draw you closer to Himself. Turn to Him in your trials and trust in Him, for He knows what is best!

Guest Post by Lacy S.

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

Join us for the Give Thanksx7 Challenge this Month!
This Month’s Desktop Wallpaper
Current Issue of The King’s Blooming Rose Magazine

2 thoughts on “Trusting Our Master Trainer (November)

1. Lacy, you are so sweet to share your heart on this! Such a neat and fitting allegory too. That scripture has been one I’ve held close to this past year myself (Ps 16 – He does indeed fill us with His joy when we come to Him with an open heart!)… Psalms 118:14 is also very good. He is my salvation… my strength and my song!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *