A New Year: In Light of Eternity (January)

Guestpost by Maggie B.

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is
renewed like the eagle’s
.”
(Psalm 103:1-5)

The beginning of a new year is an exciting time!

It’s a great opportunity to reflect on highlights from the past year. 2016 has been full and amazing in many ways for my family. It’s been a sweet chapter in this adventure called life.

The beginning of a new year is also a time to step back and reprioritize. Today I want to challenge you, even as I am challenged, to commit to live 2017 fully for God’s glory, remembering that the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal (2 Corinthians 4:18). He is the only One worthy of living for; this is what we have been created to do!

Sisters, this new year, let’s seek to…

1. Be Faithful In Prayer

We have been given an amazing gift to be able to come before the throne of God in prayer (Hebrews 4:16). The prayer of faith can move mountains! As I was writing this, some startling questions came to me: If God were to answer every one of my prayers, what would happen in my family? My community? The world? What would my walk with Him look like? Let’s be on our knees this year, my friends!

2. Diligently Study the Word

“Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.”
(Jeremiah 9:23-24)

Nothing on earth compares with knowing God. He has given us of His Word so that we can know Him and know how He wants us to live. When I put aside my Bible reading, I struggle, I’m discouraged, and I’m not joyful. I want to make it a goal to keep in His Word all throughout this year, gleaning His commands and growing in the knowledge of Him  seeking Him, obeying Him, and becoming like Him!

“And ye shall seek me, and find me,
when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”
(Jeremiah 29:13)

3. Add to our Faith Diligently

“And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
(2 Peter 1:5-8)

Our spiritual walk requires vigorous attention! Just as a scholar prepares for a test, so we must give diligence to obedience and growth our walk with the Lord. A study of the many verses mentioning this subject is on my list for this year! How I need to train in diligence — to add to my faith diligently! What are some ways that you can actively add to your faith in the coming months?

4. Walk in Love

When I read 1 Corinthians 13 and ponder what that would look like if I were living it out, it’s sobering. This is the kind of love Jesus has for us, the kind of love that we are supposed to have for others: laying down my desires in order to serve others. Love also compels me to be a bold witness to the lost.

“And above all these things put on charity,
which is the bond of perfectness.”
(Colossians 3:14)

5. Offer the Sacrifice of Every Moment

Big events come and go in our lives, but the majority of the span of a year is spent in small, daily, mundane tasks that aren’t very exciting. It is in these tasks that we live out our lives for God’s service! Let’s be faithful to serve the Lord in every moment for His glory:

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.”
(Romans 12:1)

Dear sisters, will you join me in committing to seeking the Lord diligently in 2017?

I am excited to begin this year, and I know I will need the Lord’s help every step of the way. He is faithful! I’m so thankful that He will enable us to walk with Him, by His grace and strength (2 Corinthians 3:5, 12:9). Together, let’s live for Him in light of eternity!

“For this God is our God for ever and ever:
he will be our guide even unto death.”
(Psalm 48:14)

Guest post by Maggie B.

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

This Month’s Desktop Wallpaper
Scripture prayer cards: make a goal of praying for your family in 2017