What is Your Greatest Delight? (February)

by Sarah Lee Bryant

De • light

—To affect with great pleasure; to please highly; to give or afford high satisfaction or joy. I will delight myself in thy statutes. Ps. 119.

—To receive great pleasure in. I delight to do thy will. Ps. 40:8.

Definitions from Webster’s Dictionary of the English Language

What is your greatest delight? What do you most delight in?

What is the first thing that pops into your mind? If you were honest with yourself, would it be a person…a specific hobby…friends…project…music…fashion…accomplishments…or something else?

God has given us all things to be enjoyed for His glory (see 1 Timothy 6:17) and to be used for the advancement of His kingdom. However, not all things are always expedient (1 Corinthians 10:23)…some things may tend to distract our attention from what should be the greatest delight of our souls.

What should be our greatest delight?

The answer is simple: the Lord. Our Savior Jesus Christ should be our joy, rejoicing, lover, and delight!

Delight thyself also in the LORD;
and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.”
(Psalms 37:4)

We are to take great pleasure and joy in the Lord our God more than anything else in this world. And why shouldn’t we?!—He is our reason for living, salvation, and eternal life!

Although we don’t hear this message heralded by the masses, nothing will give us lasting joy or satisfaction—except for the One Who made us! Jesus satisfies our hearts and gives us purpose and true meaning in life.

Oh, friends, when we really live in the reality of Who God is…the alluring things of the world fade in comparison! As our eyes are fixed upon Him, and we grow in the knowledge of Him (through His Word), the thought of Him will bring us the deepest pleasure and satisfaction.

Do you find, as I do, that so many other things fight for your attention and affection?

Sometimes, I step back and realize that so many things (other than the Lord) are filling my mind, taking my attention, absorbing my joy, and distracting me from the fellowship I could be having with my Lord.

I Corinthians 7:34 tells us that “There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.”

This season of singleness is a unique time that we have been given to be able to serve the Lord and focus on Him without distraction. If the Lord gives us our own family one day, we will carry more responsibilities and cares. Today we must wisely invest in the opportunities we have to seek the Lord, and guard our lives from things that hinder a focus on what truly matters.

Will you join me this year in making GOD your greatest delight?

I’d like for us to challenge one another afresh to delight in Jesus. Are you ready to do what it takes to make this a reality in your heart? Here are some steps that I have been taking, and invite you to do as well, as we seek to put HIM first!

1. Honestly ask yourself, “What brings me the most delight right now?” What comes first to your mind? What absorbs a lot of your time or thoughts? Write it down and pray for wisdom as to how to fast/diet from that for several weeks. If possible, stay away from it completely (if you truly cannot, then ask the Lord to show you how you can minimize it for this time so that you can free your heart to focus on Him). And pssst..if it’s Instagram…you can find a way to completely fast from that for a few weeks…you probably will survive! :)
  2. During this fast, actively seek ways to delight in GOD. Make a goal to study God’s Word, memorize Scripture, and spend a certain time each day in prayer, pouring your heart out before the Lord (Psalm 62:8). Allot a certain amount of time each day that you will do these things. (Personally, I have been setting aside an extra time for this, besides my normal daily quiet time in the mornings. I also love to talk to the Lord/memorize Scripture while I exercise/walk each day.) If necessary, tell someone else you will be doing this so they can hold you accountable.
  3. Write down ten of your favorite promises or passages on small pieces of paper. Decorate them, and then set them around the home. Put God’s Word before your eyes—it’s a great way to delight in Him through the day.
  4. Ingest as much of God’s Word as you possibly can. In spare moments, recall your current Scripture memory passage, read a few verses, sing Scripture, or turn on your Bible app while you work (or wash dishes). Make a choice to do what the psalmist did: “His delight is in the law of the LORD; and in His law doth he meditate day and night” (Psalm 1:2).
  5. Develop an appetite for what God loves. Pursue the things of the Spirit. Serve others unselfishly. Add to your faith virtue, knowledge, forgiveness, self-control, patience, godliness, kindness, and love. As you make choices to delight in what God delights in, so will your satisfaction in God and His fellowship increase! “I delight to do Thy will, O my God: yea, Thy law is within my heart” (Psalm 40:8).
  6. Set up boundaries for yourself. Guard your thoughts, heart, and eyes against anything that does not please God or line up with His heart/desire for you. This is a choice. Write down these things that distract you from an undivided focus on the Lord. Then, write down ways you will be proactive and purposeful to divert your eyes from unwholesome things and refuse impure thoughts. If something is in question, and you aren’t sure you can do it with a clear conscience before the Lord as the best thing for your spiritual growth, then don’t do it. When in doubt—stay away from it! I have learned from experience this is not always easy. It is hard to deny yourself. But let me encourage you: the fruits of righteousness are WORTH IT!!

Delighting in the Lord is a choice: and once we make it, the fruit will be unmistakable.

Our entire focus in life will be where it should be: seeking the kingdom of God first. I like this quote by Oswald Chambers:

Beware of anything that would spot or tarnish that mirror in you. It is almost always something good that will stain it— something good, but not what is best. The busyness of things obscures our concentration on God. We must maintain a position of beholding Him, keeping our lives completely spiritual through and through. Let other things come and go as they will; let other people criticize us as they will; but never allow anything to obscure the life that “is hidden with Christ in God” (Colossians 3:3). Never let a hurried lifestyle disturb the relationship of abiding in Him. This is an easy thing to allow, but we must guard against it. The most difficult lesson of the Christian life is learning how to continue “beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord.”

Sisters, there is nothing like the joy of walking in complete fellowship and openness with our Best Friend: our Lord Jesus. Let’s not settle for anything less. All the vain things that charm us most—really aren’t that attractive after all.

What do you need to lay aside today? Sacrifice it through His blood…and place your delight in Jesus!

“Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord.”
(Philippians 3:1)

Will you take the challenge? If so, let us know in the comments below!

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

This Month’s Desktop Wallpaper