5 Ways to Bless Other Girls and Make New Friends (March)

by Sarah Lee Bryant

Do you sometimes wish you had a good friend? Do you wonder why you don’t “hit it off” with anyone?

Or maybe you’re disappointed that there are no “likeminded” girls in your area?

I think we all have been in those places! I know I certainly have!

The truth is, we have a natural human desire for companionship. Although our loving Father has graciously put many special people in our lives, they can’t fulfill our heart’s deepest desires. They can’t always be available to listen to our woes and needs, understand our feelings, or always comfort and encourage us.

In fact, no one on earth can. Only our Creator and Savior Jesus Christ can satisfy our heart’s deep desires! Our hearts were made by Him and for Him, and as Augustine said:

“You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they can find rest in You.”

When our hearts have been filled by Jesus and we are complete in Him, then we will be equipped to be a channel through which Christ can spread His love to others. And then, we will be able to develop friendships that will sharpen one another and be based upon the Lord!

You see, that “friend” you’re looking for may be in disguise. You’re looking for someone who is a certain age and looks a certain way and has certain interests (of course, the same ones you have).

But, sisters, let’s just admit—that’s a rather selfish outlook on friendship!

God has a solution:

“Look not every man on his own things,
but every man also on the things of others.”

(Philippians 2:4)

Instead of waiting for the “perfect somebody” to come to you looking to be a friend, try a different approach. Look for opportunities to reach out and bless and serve others. Invest in other girls’ lives. Initiate conversations and be genuinely interested in what God is doing in the lives of others…even if they are not your age or have similar interests!

Here are five ways I’d like to challenge you to minister to other girls!

1. Initiate the conversation. Have you ever really talked to that little girl at church or reached out to the quiet woman who always sits alone? Maybe you aren’t quite sure what you have in common. Find out! Go out of your comfort zone: be interested in her life and find out what her interests are. Use that as a springboard to show that you care about her, and be consistent to initiate conversations when you can!
  2. Pray for her. Maybe you do not know a certain girl very well, but would like to bless her (even if you haven’t quite found “what makes her tick” quite yet). Put her on your prayer list! If you have the opportunity, you could ask her for any specific prayer requests she might have. It is such a blessing to know someone is praying for you!
  3. Remember her birthday. I remember years ago, when I received a birthday card from an acquaintance. I was shocked that she remembered my birthday—and cared enough to send me thoughtful wishes. We are friends to this day—her thoughtfulness meant so much! Keep a birthday calendar and have a ministry of sending birthday cards with an encouraging Scripture verse.
  4. Invest the Word of God in her life. Text an encouraging verse here and there, meet her out for lunch and read a passage together or work memorizing Scripture together, or keep one another accountable for Bible reading or Scripture memory.
  5. Do normal activities together! Invite her to do something normal with you one afternoon. Whether it’s baking, sewing, playing instruments, studying the Bible, walking—these normal daily things can be a great way to spend time together and encourage one another. Your conversations don’t always have to be about deep theological issues (although these conversations are great!)—they can also be uplifting and fun!

As you invest in others, you may be surprised at how God blesses and sharpens you! And you may never know what an impact your efforts to “be a friend” can have in their life. Friendships that cross the age gap are sharpening both spiritually and emotionally. Learn to relate to others in various seasons and walks of life, and to recognize God at work in their hearts!

“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me.”
(Matthew 25:40)

Have you ever been blessed by someone in a special way?

What did they do that encouraged you? Maybe that will give you more ideas of how you can bless other girls! We’d love to hear what ideas you may have.

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

This Month’s Desktop and Smartphone Wallpaper

4 thoughts on “5 Ways to Bless Other Girls and Make New Friends (March)

1. This is fantastic!
    Regarding number 1: We don’t all have bubbly, outgoing personalities, but there is a difference between shyness and rudeness. Besides, we have no right to complain of no friends if we are not willing to reach out ourselves. Proverbs 18:24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly…
    My favorite tip for making friends is to ask a question and then listen to their answer and find another question to ask. Keep firing questions until you get the other person talking.
    Also, be willing to talk to anyone. Even those who look intimidating are just normal people. Start a conversation, and you may be surprised where it takes you!
    My sister made a friend last year and, after several months, I learned that this girl (who by that time was my friend as well) is certified in an area that I am very interested in learning. I now have free training available to me through my friend, and would never have that opportunity if my sister had not gone out of her comfort zone to make a friend.
    Thanks for the great, practical advice, Sarah!

1. Thank you so much for commenting, Andrea! What great thoughts you shared. I agree, sometimes it is difficult to strike up a conversation (especially if you’re not naturally outgoing), although it is definitely worth it. Asking questions is a GREAT conversation tip – showing an interest in the other person’s life and learning what is close to their heart. That’s so exciting to hear how you and your sister made a new friend! Thanks for sharing!

2. I’ve always found it difficult to initiate conversations. I was always waiting for the “perfect” someone. I did find a wonderful friend, but only because I started turning to the Lord more and more when I was in need of a true friend. Now, I’m best friends with the girl the Lord brought into my life and we continue to further sharpen ourselves spiritually and emotionally. Thank you so much for this article. It is a real encouragement to me to reach out to others. The one thing which brings together people of varied interests and ages is the love we all share in Jesus Christ our Lord.

1. What an encouragement to hear how God has worked in your life to make HIM your best friend, and then has given you more friendships centered around Him! Blessings to you as you reach out to others with Christ’s love!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *