How to Prepare for Your Future Home

by Paige B.

The thought of having our very own home, with our very own husband and children one day, gives us a tingle of excitement.

Some of us may be very optimistic type girls, and we picture this future home as being a beautiful, peaceful haven with darling perfect little children and a husband who adores us and tells us so every day!

Having our own joy-filled Christian home one day is a beautiful, God-given desire. However, we must be using the years God has given us right now to prepare ourselves to be godly wives and mothers. Many times I’ll watch my Mom perform a certain task, work through a sibling disagreement, or proficiently manage many things at one time; and I think, “Wow, I have so much to learn!” When I stop and think about the responsibilities that come with having a home to manage, a husband to passionately love, respect, and obey, and children to answer to God for; I ask God to help me use these years responsibly and make me fit for such a great task!

How do we prepare for our future homes? How can we begin to bless our future family now?

First of all, begin with your relationship with Jesus.

If you’re going to be prepared for the future, you must start with the One who holds the future. Where is your relationship with God? Are you in full communion with Him? Do you know His love for you? Is your heart totally given to Jesus? Are you only trusting in His love and grace for you? We can’t be what we need to be in our own power—we’d just end up miserable failures. We can’t prepare ourselves to be future wives and mothers when we aren’t truly walking with Jesus. We can’t (even with our wonderful husbands) train the next generation to love and serve God—without knowing and loving Him ourselves!

I’ve watched my parents work through so many issues on their knees. My siblings and I know that we definitely wouldn’t be what we are today if Mom and Dad hadn’t prayed and sought God with many tears for victory. It has been God’s grace through their prayers that changed our hearts. My mother’s prayers have sprung from her strong relationship with Jesus.

Do you really love God and have a heart totally given to Him? Is He working through you to conquer the things you struggle with each day, so you don’t carry them over into your future marriage and family? (If you struggle with character issues now, they will only be magnified in marriage!)

I would challenge you to delve into 1 John and truly see the deep, unfailing love that God has for you. Take time to pour out your heart to the Father who loves YOU so much He sent His only Son to die for YOU! He is your Good Shepherd—every pasture He leads you through is for your best. When you truly see the love of God for you, your heart will just naturally respond in deep love for Him. “We love Him, because He first loved us” (1 John 4:19). Make it important to always spend daily time with Jesus—no matter how many “good things” we may be doing, it doesn’t matter if we aren’t growing in God’s love and our relationship with Him.

Another way to prepare for your future home and family is to embrace where God has you.

Wherever you currently are, whether serving your family, ministering to grandparents, ministry with others, or whatever it may be, thank God for where He has you right now! It’s the best way to prepare, because it’s right where God wants you and can use you best.

Contentment is vital! Too often we think that “preparing for the future” is more important than serving Jesus right now. What if you may not be able to take classes at your local college because your mom needs your help teaching and training your younger siblings? Embrace and serve those little siblings—God knows they’re preparing you more than anything else can right now. You may not be able to sew all the little girl dresses and homemade things to put in your hopechest, because you have elderly grandparents to take care of and minister to. Be thankful, embrace where God has placed you, love those needy elderly grandparents, and serve them with cheerfulness! When our hearts are right, God will take care of the rest.

Finally, use your time wisely, dear girls!

The days are short and we must redeem the days God gives us. With the spare hours and minutes that God gives you each day, use them to prepare for your future family and home in the following ways:

• During your time with the Lord every day, take a few minutes to pray for your future husband and children—our heavenly Father isn’t one of time and space; He remembers our prayers far after we humans have forgotten. Read Psalm 139!
  • Take the time to learn first aid and basic emergency response skills; these could save your child’s life or some other child’s life someday.
  • Read challenging books and learn new skills that could be of use in the future. Strive to always be learning and growing and progressing spiritually, physically, and mentally.
  • Prepare yourself for the physical rigours of motherhood by girding your body with strength (Proverbs 31:17)—through exercise and nutrition. Wisely steward the temple God has given you so you are equipped to serve Him to the fullest!
  • Enlist your family and friend’s help at birthdays, Christmas, or other holidays in helping you build your hopechest with useful things for your future home. You can also save special things that have been part of your life and girlhood, for your future daughters!
  • Learn from your mother. God gave us amazing moms who are just waiting to pass on a wealth of knowledge if we are just willing to listen and learn. Your mom will love teaching and showing you all the shortcuts and special ways she has discovered to run a home more efficiently. Don’t shrug it off—“Mother’s way” is often the best way.

These are just a few ways to begin preparing for the future and bless your future family. Use the days God has given you—these years pass by so fast—and see every circumstance you face today as God’s tool to perfect you into what He wants you to be!

Sisters, I encourage you to hold your dreams, preparations, and hopes for your future home in an open hand before God.

Be willing to let Him do with them what He will—He may bless and grow them for His glory or He may replace them with something far better. Adore and lift Him up as you serve Him right where He has you. As He leads you, use your time wisely to prepare for your future. Live for eternity!

Paige (21) is a joyful daughter of our loving heavenly Father. Her greatest passion in life is to bring glory to her King and be a channel of his love to the hearts of others. She teaches piano and violin and spends most of her time serving her family in all the little day-to-day duties of life. In her spare time, she’s either playing volleyball with her siblings, sewing, blogging, or writing about things God has laid on her heart. Her deepest desire is that you too may know the unfailing love God has for you as you journey heavenward.

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

Read the New Issue of KBR Magazine: Cultivating a Heart at Home!

Desktop and Smartphone Wallpaper