How to Cultivate Humility

by Peyton H.

“Pride goeth before destruction,
and an haughty spirit before a fall.”
(Proverbs 16:18)

Have you ever had your pride taken down a notch?

I remember one specific time when my pride caused me to fall—literally. I was racing my brother to jump over some grass in our little downtown area. As I ran and jumped, I skidded across the sidewalk and skinned my knee and my hands. Laying there in the ground with skinned hands and knees, my pride was broken. What seemed a simple feat turned into a situation where I was humbled—before my brothers and before those people walking and driving by!

After this little accident, I still had lots to learn about humility…

Recently, I was thinking about humility and how it affects my own life. I decided to search the Scriptures for verses to meditate on and to pray, and I found many illustrations and verses about humility. Proverbs has a lot to say about this:

“The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom;
and before honour is humility.”
(Proverbs 15:33)

“By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches,
and honour, and life.”
(Proverbs 22:4)

“A man’s pride shall bring him low:
but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.”
(Proverbs 29:23)

Pride will lead us to destruction. God values a humble heart—one who fears Him and exalts Him. Pride creeps in our hearts in so many ways. In my own life, there are times when I look at someone or hear about someone, and I think prideful thoughts. I think that I am better than they are because I dress more modestly, or because I read my Bible every day and they don’t. These are proud, self-righteous thoughts and I have to remind myself that we are all fallen, sinful people (Romans 3:10). Not one of us will make it to heaven without Jesus Christ.

“For the wages of sin is death;
but the gift of God is eternal life
through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
(Romans 6:23)

When we are humble, we will realize our need for Christ and His strength to do what is right each day. It brings us to our knees before the cross.

So how can I cultivate humility in my own life?

Start with Jesus. Is Jesus your Lord and Savior? Is He in control of your life? In order to be humble, you have to start by humbling yourself before your Maker and trusting in Him for salvation.

“As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.” (Psalm 55:16)

Ask the Lord to make you humble. He delights in answering the prayer of a humble heart! He may answer that prayer in a humbling way, so be prepared.

Start working on humility in your own home. Be humble with your siblings. Let them go first or let them receive acclamation from your parents. Receive rebukes and corrections humbly from others, knowing that they are for your growth and benefit.

Serve others. Do special things for others; take note of their interests and likes, and put their best interests before your own. Take time to invest in your siblings and make dinner for your mother; give of your time and meet needs around you (Matthew 25:45).

Do the lowly and unseen tasks. Serve the Lord even when no one else sees it or recognizes your sacrifice (Colossians 3:24). Taking out the trash…cleaning the floor…changing a diaper… What would it be for you?

God promises great blessings and rewards to those who are humble.

How do you strive to cultivate a heart of humility? Why do you believe humility is so important to the Lord? As a daughter, how do you serve with humility? Please share with us below!

As daughters of the King, may we realize the tremendous beauty and value of having a humble heart: one that does not seek approval or attention from others, but that lives for the pleasure of Jesus Christ alone. He promises that when we humble ourselves, He will exalt us in due time (I Peter 5:6) and give honor and life (Proverbs 22:4)!

Peyton (19) of Mississippi can be found blogging at sistersonourknees.com.

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

Current Issue of KBR Magazine: Cultivating a Heart at Home

Desktop Wallpaper and Smartphone Lock Screen