Serving in the Home

by Andrea Nymeyer

“Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
(Matthew 20:28)

One summer, my family and I were visiting with some friends.

During supper conversation, my sister and I chatted with the oldest daughter about our role as daughters living at home. Our friend said, “We are able to serve. That is so important.” Though it was a passing statement, I have not forgotten it.

As I watched her that day, I saw that service was not just something my friend spoke of. Rather, she exemplified a servant’s spirit. When a small child spilled his drink, she was the first to jump and clean it up; when it was time to clear the tables, she was the first to pick up a dish; when the sink began to fill with dirty dishes, she was the first to begin to wash. Over and over I watched as she saw and met the needs of everyone around her. “Truly,” I thought, “This girl has learned to serve!”

Several months later, while doing my personal devotions, my mind went back to that conversation with my friend.

I was reading in my Bible about Joseph in prison and saw an amazing thing. Genesis 40:4 says, “And the captain of the guard charged Joseph with them, and he served them.” Wait! Joseph was in charge! Why was he serving those over whom he had authority? This is a great insight into Joseph’s later greatness. God exalts those who have learned to serve others. Whether we are in charge of younger siblings, leading a Sunday school class, or supervising a kitchen cleaning crew, we must remember to be aware of others’ needs. A position of authority is not an occasion to exalt ourselves, but it is an opportunity to serve more people in a greater capacity. Rather than pushing our own way, we should prefer others and realize that someone else’s way of doing something may truly be better than ours (Philippians 2:3). Do not copy the mistake of King Rehoboam. He was counseled to serve his subjects, but because he refused to follow this wise counsel, he lost the very people he was to have led (1 Kings 12:7).

After discovering that Joseph served his charges, I thought of two of my favorite servants in the Bible…

Most of us probably think of Jesus as the ultimate servant, and rightly so. He served His followers and those who He was trying to reach. Jesus tirelessly fed, healed, and ministered to hundreds of people. Most of the people He served did not follow Him. They did not love Him. They came to Him to get what they could for themselves, and then they crucified Him. Jesus served them regardless. If we are ever to reach the world who is lost and dying in sin, we must be willing to serve people. We must serve those who are ungrateful and unlovely and will never return our love and service. We must remember that our goal is to lead people to Jesus, and that it will be worth it in heaven if just one comes to know Him because of our service. People will listen to someone who has helped them. In order to reach people for Christ, we must reflect His servant’s spirit.

“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
(Matthew 25:40)

The story of Isaac and Rebekah is one of my favorite Bible stories. I love the fact that God so obviously orchestrated their marriage, and that He did it in such a beautiful manner. We must not miss the fact that, before Rebekah was led to her husband, she was serving her family. In fact, she would never have been found by Abraham’s servant had she not served him by watering his camels. She probably had to go to the well every day and I am sure the job became “mundane” to her, yet she was doing the mundane when God chose to bless her. Mundane jobs are just as important, if not more important, than the exciting jobs. Mundane jobs are the circumstances in which we truly learn to serve.

When a daughter sees something that needs to be done at home, she should be the first to help.

Pick up a dishcloth, wipe down a counter, fold the laundry, grab a Band-Aid, fetch supplies… Never fall prey to the thoughts that, “Someone else will do it,” or “It’s not my job.” That may be true. Someone else may pick up the slack, but why should they have to? God put each of us in our specific homes so that we can be a blessing to our families. Don’t become a leech when you should be a servant.

Serving is fulfilling. It is a joy to know that you have helped another person. It can be hard to become motivated, especially when the task is unpleasant, but after the work is accomplished, the satisfaction of knowing that you’ve been a blessing is worth the time and effort. Even if no one notices your service, remember that you serve for the Lord, and the most important thing is that He is pleased. No matter if you never receive human praise, the Lord can give fulfillment in work that is well done. Ultimately, He should get the glory no matter who notices or overlooks your service. Whether you’re in a position of authority reaching out to lost people, or simply living out your life at home, serve others in order to bring glory to the Lord. Your Savior will fill your life with joy and fulfillment as you follow His example.

-Andrea Nymeyer

If you’re interested in writing a guest post for KBR Ministries, click here.

Current Issue of KBR Magazine: Faithful Stewardship

Desktop Wallpaper and Smartphone Lock Screen

2 thoughts on “Serving in the Home

1. Andrea, thank you so much for this encouraging article, and for reminding us of the beauty and importance of service and fulfilling our role in the family and place that God has blessed us with! I know I have so much growing to do in this area, so thank you for the reminder and charge for this new month!
    May our precious Lord bless you as you serve for His glory! ♥
    Because of His love and grace,
    ~Martha Joy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *